Posted: Tue 12th Sep 2023

Major development at former rugby club site ‘unlikely’ after government refusal

North Wales news and information
This article is old - Published: Tuesday, Sep 12th, 2023

A “significant” future development at a former rugby club site looks unlikely after plans for a holiday park were refused, planning bosses believe.

Last month, plans for 44 holiday lodges at the former Rhyl Rugby Club site in Rhuddlan were rejected by the Welsh Government.

The proposal included plans for a bunkhouse, restaurant, café, shop and a cycle-hire office at the site off Waen Road.

North Wales Construction Ltd submitted the application, claiming it would create 30 full-time permanent jobs as well as construction jobs.

But the application was called in for determination by the Welsh Government, before being rejected.

Denbighshire County Council had already recommended the scheme should be refused.

And now council planning officers believe any major development at the site is unlikely, after the “damning decision” on the proposal.

During a planning committee meeting at Denbighshire Council’s HQ in Ruthin, Cllr Merfyn Parry asked planning officers if another application could come in in the future.

Planning officer Paul Griffin said he believed it was unlikely that, in light of the recent decision, any future application would be passed.

“I think it is one of those situations where you can never say never, but if you look at the scale of this proposal and the reasoning the Welsh Government inspectorate came up with, they are pretty damning for anything of significant scale in that location,” he said.

“The lack of non-car travel, etc, the loss of agricultural land, etc, these are all fundamental principles of development that I think that whatever comes back on that site, if anything would make a reasonable contribution, would fall foul over the policies, so I think that, never say never, but this is quite a damning decision for that site.”

Climate change minister Julie James refused the application in August, following a report by planning inspector Siân Worden, who had recommended the holiday park plan for refusal.

By Richard Evans – Local Democracy Reporter



Spotted something? Got a story? Send a Facebook Message | A direct message on Twitter | Email news@north.wales

More...

Row Breaks Out Over Denbighshire Council’s £3m Budget Shortfall

Denbighshire

Plans to Build Ten New Homes on Derelict Farm in Wrexham Facing Refusal, Citing Environmental Concerns

Wrexham

Critics slam ‘decades of neglect’ of North Wales transport system

News

Rejected Multi-Million Pound Seiont Manor Hotel Development Scheme Divides Gwynedd Planners

Gwynedd

Plans to Create 20 Apartments Above Shops in Wrexham Set to Go Ahead Despite Noise Concerns

Wrexham

Denbighshire Leader Advocates Collaboration Amid Cash-Strapped Local Councils

Denbighshire