Tap!

Posted: Wed 11th Sep 2019

Updated: Wed 26th Feb

Listed building flats scheme gets go-ahead

Latest North Wales breaking news, sport, what's on and business news
This article is old - Published: Wednesday, Sep 11th, 2019

A listed building that was once council offices will be converted into flats.
The project by Muse Developments will see the Grade II listed Glan y Don turned into nine apartments after Cowny Council’s planning committee gave the go-ahead.
The scheme will be made up of two flats with two bedrooms and seven with one bedroom on the old Civic Centre site to the rear of North Wales Police headquarters.
No objections had been received, however the issue of the  loss of office accommodation was raised by officers, but later dismissed as those at the site were considered to be no longer modern enough to meet current demands and therefore would be difficult to market.
Two of the flats will be affordable, something that pleased Llansannan county councillor and a former chairwoman of the committee, Sue Lloyd-Williams.
She said: “The site is in quite a sorry state as it stands because there is no life there. In looking at the application before us I’m very happy to propose that we approve this application.
“I’m also satisfied to see that there will be affordable units. We are always pleading for affordable units.”
Highways officers had raised issues about the traffic survey saying it would need to be seen in the context of what will happen to the rest of the site.
Uwchaled county councillor, Peter Lewis, said: “I’m sure officers will be mindful of the volume of traffic that was actually on that site when we (the council) occupied it. And I think it would be quite interesting to know what the volume of traffic was there on a daily basis because I know it was pretty difficult getting a parking space there.”
The developer was also granted listed building consent to make alterations to Glan y Don.

By Shane Brennan – Local Democracy Reporter



Spotted something? Got a story? Send a Facebook Message | A direct message on Twitter | Email news@north.wales

More...

Hundreds enjoy free summer activity session in Bangor

News

Extensive search underway for missing person in Llandudno

News

Fifteen roads revert back to 30mph in Conwy

News

Home Office revises asylum seeker housing plan in Gronant

Flintshire

Bid to develop former sailing club building into retail/business units in Pwllheli Marina

Gwynedd

New ‘Fflecsi’ bus service in Llŷn Peninsula praised for affordability and convenience

Gwynedd