Posted: Tue 21st Apr 2020

Wrexham MP calls for reopening of recycling centre following increase in fly-tipping and rubbish burning

North Wales news and information
This article is old - Published: Tuesday, Apr 21st, 2020

An MP has called for Wrexham’s main recycling centre to be re-opened to allow residents to get rid of household rubbish safely.

It follows a reported increase in fly tipping and garden bonfires after the facility on the town’s industrial estate was closed temporarily due to the coronavirus crisis.

Wrexham Council said it had taken the decision as travelling to the centre on Bryn Lane was viewed as non-essential under lockdown restrictions put in place by the government.

But Conservative MP Sarah Atherton has now insisted the local authority should reconsider the move “as a matter of priority”.

In a letter to the council’s chief executive Ian Bancroft, she said: “Many of my constituents have written to me raising issues regarding disposing of household waste and the temporary closure of the tip.

“As I am sure you know, there has been an increase in fly tipping and an increase in household garden bonfires despite the advice from the fire service and council in the local press advising against bonfires.

“Temporarily closing the tip inconveniences residents and potentially creates dangerous problems elsewhere, such as garden fires.

“Providing social distances measures are adhered to and staff and residents remain safe, I believe reopening the tip should be looked into as a matter of priority.”

The closures came into effect at all three of the county borough’s household waste recycling centres earlier this month.

The council defended the decision at the time and issued advice on ways to get rid of rubbish in the meantime.

In response to Ms Atherton’s request, the authority’s deputy leader said the recycling centres would remain closed until it is safe to re-open and had been shut based on government guidance.

Cllr David A Bithell, lead member for environment and transport, said: “Wrexham, along with every other local authority in Wales, has closed household recycling centres in line with government advice.

“A visit to one is not classed as an essential journey. I would like to take this opportunity to thank the vast majority of householders who are supportive of all that we and our partners are doing in order to keep the public and our staff safe.

“We will of course re-open them when it is safe to do so and government advice changes.

“For now the message remains to stay at home except for essential journeys, stay safe and save lives.”

By Liam Randall – Local Democracy Reporter



Spotted something? Got a story? Send a Facebook Message | A direct message on Twitter | Email news@north.wales

More...

Row Breaks Out Over Denbighshire Council’s £3m Budget Shortfall

Denbighshire

Plans to Build Ten New Homes on Derelict Farm in Wrexham Facing Refusal, Citing Environmental Concerns

Wrexham

Critics slam ‘decades of neglect’ of North Wales transport system

News

Rejected Multi-Million Pound Seiont Manor Hotel Development Scheme Divides Gwynedd Planners

Gwynedd

Plans to Create 20 Apartments Above Shops in Wrexham Set to Go Ahead Despite Noise Concerns

Wrexham

Denbighshire Leader Advocates Collaboration Amid Cash-Strapped Local Councils

Denbighshire