Posted: Wed 16th Nov 2022

Welsh Government provides update on options to reduce traffic delays following Menai Bridge closure

North Wales news and information

The Welsh Government has provided an update on options being considered to reduce delays for people travelling over the Menai Strait following the closure of the Menai Suspension Bridge.

It follows an increase in hold-ups for those crossing between Anglesey and Gwynedd via the Britannia Bridge after the neighbouring structure was closed for safety reasons last month.

The longest travel time on the eastbound carriageway of the A55 is reported as being during the morning rush hour (between 8am and 9am) on weekdays.

The government is therefore urging people to travel outside these hours to help reduce their journey time after being heavily criticised for the Menai Bridge’s closure.

Drivers are also being encouraged to use the park and share schemes at Llanfairpwll and Gaerwen for friends and colleagues going to the same place.

Transport for Wales have provided additional rail stops and free train travel for students in the area, whilst Arriva Buses have also put on additional services.

Government officials are also working to develop other measures to reduce delays on the A55 because of the bridge closure.

These include:

  • contingency plans
  • reduced speed limits
  • slip road closures
  • ramp metering
  • rolling road blocks
  • the additional lane option across the A55 Britannia Bridge to be used when flows in one direction are greater than the other (contraflow). Generally this would be used by eastbound vehicles in the morning and westbound vehicles in the evening.

The Welsh Government said: “Not all these options will be possible between now and early 2023.

“Some will require more consultation with partners, but we will work as quickly as possible to implement any measures to help address delays on the A55 Britannia Bridge.”

Later this week (Friday 18 November) a temporary traffic order will be put in place on the Menai Bridge covering a 12-month period.

The temporary order allows work to take place on the bridge during that period but does not mean that the road will be closed for the whole duration.

Whilst the order is in place, pedestrians and dismounted cyclists will still be able to cross the bridge via the footway.

Traffic Wales is continuing to provide updates on travel times Twitter and on their website: A5 Menai Suspension Bridge: Major Maintenance Scheme.

Frequently asked questions are being kept updated here: A5 Menai Bridge: frequently asked questions.

 



Spotted something? Got a story? Send a Facebook Message | A direct message on Twitter | Email news@north.wales

More...

Health minister provides reassurance over supply of antibiotics in Wales as Strep A cases rise

News

Call for direct support for businesses hit by Menai Bridge closure amid major dip in trade

Anglesey

Icy conditions expected in North Wales with snow on higher ground as weather warning issued

News

Drops in Welsh language speakers shows targets need to be backed by action, says Plaid MS

News

North Wales health board prepares to cancel appointments as strike nears

News

North Wales rail passengers forced to fork out over £100 for taxis after getting stranded in Chester

News