School’s bid to reduce admission age
A school’s application to allow children to start lessons a year earlier has been approved by councillors.
On Monday, Anglesey Council’s Executive unanimously approved a bid by Ysgol Llandegfan to admit pupils to start school on a part-time basis from the September following their third birthdays as opposed to the current minimum age of four.
The change, which will come into effect from September 2020, will mean that pupils have “access to extensive and rich provision” at an earlier age.
By lowering the age of admission, the school’s governing body said it was “eager to ensure consistency, progression and continuation in pupils’
education in addition to providing formal nursery education for the catchment
Local councillor, Alun Roberts, spoke in favour of the proposal during Monday’s meeting of the Executive in Llangefni, claiming that the school had already lost pupils due to being in an “unfavourable” position compared to the vast majority of others that already admitted three year old’s.
“Ysgol Llandegfan is a good school that attracts several pupils from outside its usual catchment area due to its reputation, he said.”
“But as things stand the school is also losing pupils due to being at a disadvantage and I would ask you to address this request by the governors to make this change.”
The move was approved unanimously.
By Gareth Williams – Local Democracy Reporter
Spotted something? Got a story? Send a Facebook Message | A direct message on Twitter | Email email@example.com