Posted: Fri 7th Jun 2024

Holiday Park Plans Rejected on Anglesey Farm Amid Road Safety Concerns

North Wales news and information

Plans for a new holiday park on an Anglesey farm have been rejected amid concerns over road safety.
Anglesey Council had received an application for the change of use of agricultural land at Wern Farm on Pentraeth Road, Menai Bridge, with proposals for 55 holiday static caravans and chalets at the site.
The scheme included a plan to change the use of an outbuilding into a laundry, reception and site office together with construction of new on site roads.
The applicants also wanted to put up a package treatment building and construct a car parking area.
But members of Anglesey Council’s planning committee rejected the proposal during a meeting on Wednesday, June 5.
Councillors had expressed local concerns over the development’s scale and need, and issues over an increasing number of vehicles accessing the site from A5025 where traffic was said to “speed by” were raised.
Speaking in favour of the application, Elfed Williams said the development was on an already established holiday site, was hidden, and no homes were affected by it.
“There’s a bus stop a stone’s throw away from the entrance and a safe path leading up to it,” he said.
He said: “We know traffic is quite quick,” but added entrance visibility splays “conformed perfectly” to rules both directions and said there had never been an accident where the entrance was an issue.
He said the proposal would have “no impact” on the Welsh language, with no permanent residents, just visitors on holiday spending money in the local economy.
He said the plans would establish the site as a “prestigious holiday home park providing a sustainable business”.
Stephen Owen, planning enforcement manager, said officers had deemed the scheme acceptable, recommending approval subject to conditions.
But local member Cllr Alun Roberts, said in a statement read out during the meeting that the application had attracted local and community council objections.
Questions and objections raised included the “safety of the entrance”.
“Cars travel at some speed, there would be potential for 50 to 100 cars coming in and out of this entrance each day, at different times, including times of darkness, which could significantly increase the number of accidents,” he said.
There had been “at least one fatality not far from the entrance,” he said.
He claimed here was no nearby bus stop, and said he felt the area was “dangerous for walkers” as shops were “not in easy reach”.
Questions also arose over the development size and agricultural land use.
Cllr Carwyn Jones reported “feelings in the community” about the site, and queried the requirement for 55 caravans and sustainability.
The “biggest concern” for Cllr Alwen Watkin was the entrance. There was no pavement, just a verge by the roadside leading to Menai Bridge, she said.
“Significant numbers of cars speed by on that road. The entrance is dangerous in my opinion,” she said.
She also queried the need “for 55 caravans”, feeling it would have “an effect on the Welsh language”.
Living nearby, Cllr Robin Williams was familiar with the site.
He said: “The entrance is in a situation where cars go quickly, there have been accidents on this road over the years, unfortunately one or two fatalities.”
He had “serious concerns putting 55 extra cars in and out of that entrance, day after day”.
Citing another application in the Caergeiliog area, he said: “With that application the decision was made that the site was not sustainable, I’m having difficulties seeing what the difference is with this one.”
Regarding the bus stop “a stone’s throw away” he added: “I could not throw a stone that far, and there’s no path to walk to Menai Bridge at all.
“I have serious concerns about the application, the access, entrance and additional traffic movements.”
But Mr Owen said “a strong business case” had been presented and officers had felt there was “justification” to permit the plan.
Regarding the entrance, experts had been consulted and the highways department had not not raised objections, he said.
The visual splay of the entrance was over 200m, and while accepting accidents had happened on the A5025, he said there was “no evidence that they have been caused due to this entrance”.
A public footpath also ran along the site serving Llandegfan and Menai Bridge, he said.
Cllr Jackie Lewis was happy to propose officer’s recommendation to allow the development, seconded by Cllr Liz Wood.
But Cllr Robin Williams proposed refusal, seconded by Cllr Alwen Watkin.
The application was rejected 6-5.

By Dale Spridgeon – Local Democracy Reporter



Spotted something? Got a story? Send a Facebook Message | A direct message on Twitter | Email news@north.wales

More...

Police hit back at ‘operation overkill’ criticism over driver eyesight tests

Conwy

Gwynedd man jailed for torching own home in ‘reckless and dangerous’ incident

Gwynedd

North Wales Police issue alert over fake job advert scam

News

Denbighshire Council Admits ‘Underestimated’ Bin Collection Time, Thousands of Collections Missed

Denbighshire

Newly Formed Clwyd East Constituency Set For Hot Contest on July 4

Denbighshire

Candidates vying for Clwyd North hotly contested parliamentary seat

Denbighshire