Posted: Mon 21st Oct 2019

Updated: Wed 26th Feb

Council refutes claims that astroturf has been condemned

North Wales news and information
This article is old - Published: Monday, Oct 21st, 2019

Anglesey Council has refuted claims that an artificial football pitch has been condemned.
Concerns were raised after a social media post was widely circulated, claiming that the pitch at Millbank in Holyhead had been “condemned” due to concerns over its condition.
The floodlit astroturf facility is widely used for year-round training by several local clubs, and there were fears that such a move would plunge planned training sessions “into limbo”.
The authority is responsible for the pitch’s general maintenance, but has been accused of “a lack of investment” over several years.
In response to the claims, Anglesey council has confirmed that the pitch is expected to reopen once imminent work takes place to fix a floodlighting issue.
They did, however, concede there were “issues” that needed to be addressed.
Cllr Trefor Lloyd Hughes, a former president of the Football Association of Wales, said that any long-term loss of the pitch would be a “massive blow” and hoped to see it reopen as soon as possible.
A council spokesman said: “We’d like to reassure the community that the astro pitch at Millbank has not been condemned.
“There has been a recent problem with lighting. New bulbs will be installed early next week. We expect it to reopen once these have been replaced.
“Following a report from the maintenance company, there are other matters which need to be addressed and these are being given priority.
“We will continue to work with partners and local stakeholders to ensure it remains a facility for the whole community.”
The island’s sporting facilities came under the microscope earlier this month during a final formal inspection as part of Mon’s bid to host the 2025 Island Games.
A delegation from the International Island Games (IIGA) Executive Committee visited Anglesey on October 10 and 11 to formally assess the sporting and accommodation facilities on the island.
They were given a tour of the island by the Ynys Mon 2025 Bid Committee, as well as meeting with national governing bodies of sports and senior national and local government officials.
The visit is one the final steps in Ynys Mon’s bid to host the 2025 games, with the final bid document being presented to the IIGA in March 2020, before the 2025 Bid Committee present to member islands at an IIGA AGM in Guernsey in July 2020.
A decision is expected soon afterwards on whether or not Ynys Mon will succeed in their bid to host the games.

By Gareth Williams – Local Democracy Reporter



Spotted something? Got a story? Send a Facebook Message | A direct message on Twitter | Email news@north.wales

More...

Health Minister calls on social media companies to take responsibility for false information on coronavirus

News

Denbighshire leisure company director ‘very disappointed’ at lack of clarity for sector over fire-break lockdown

Denbighshire

“Future of rail” in Wales unveiled as day to day services to be nationalised and run by ‘publicly-owned’ entity

News

Electric buses and Snowdonia gateway improvements part of £11m funding for North Wales

News

North Wales Police braced for influx of caravans along A55 on Friday as visitors try to beat fire-break lockdown

Conwy

Appeal launched over refusal of drive-thru KFC and Starbucks on A55 in Flintshire

Flintshire