Posted: Mon 24th Oct 2022

Anglesey MP ‘shocked and appalled’ by decision to close Menai Bridge

North Wales news and information
This article is old - Published: Monday, Oct 24th, 2022

The MP for Anglesey has said she was left “shocked and appalled” by last week’s decision to close the Menai Bridge. ‌​‌‌​​​‌‍‌​‌​‌​​​

The suspension bridge, which spans the Menai Strait between the island and the mainland, was shut suddenly on Friday following an announcement by the Welsh Government. ‌​‌‌​​​‌‍‌​‌​‌​​​

Officials said action had been taken following safety recommendations from structural engineers and to allow essential maintenance work to take place. ‌​‌‌​​​‌‍‌​‌​‌​​​

It’s been estimated the work could take up to 16 weeks, but the government says it is working to reopen it as soon as possible. ‌​‌‌​​​‌‍‌​‌​‌​​​

The decision was originally taken to close the bridge to all traffic, but it was later announced that pedestrians and cyclists could still access it. ‌​‌‌​​​‌‍‌​‌​‌​​​

Anglesey’s Conservative MP Virginia Crosbie has hit out at the Welsh Government over the disruption caused in a post on Facebook. ‌​‌‌​​​‌‍‌​‌​‌​​​

She said: “I am shocked and appalled by the sudden decision by Welsh Government to close the Menai Bridge – without notice – for up to four months due to structural weakness caused by heavy traffic. This is a problem that should have been anticipated. ‌​‌‌​​​‌‍‌​‌​‌​​​

“The Welsh Labour Government – propped up by Plaid Cymru – has once again deprioritised our island with Anglesey losing yet another of its critical links to the mainland for months to come. ‌​‌‌​​​‌‍‌​‌​‌​​​

‌​‌‌​​​‌‍‌​‌​‌​​​

“The Welsh Government has a long-standing contract for this area with a company called UK Highways 55 Ltd. ‌​‌‌​​​‌‍‌​‌​‌​​​

“46,000 vehicles cross the Menai Straits each day and the Menai Bridge is a critical part of our infrastructure – particularly for the families, workers and our students who commute over the bridge daily. ‌​‌‌​​​‌‍‌​‌​‌​​​

“With the Britannia Bridge often closed to high sided vehicles due to high winds this move will also hit the port of Holyhead and our fragile Island economy. ‌​‌‌​​​‌‍‌​‌​‌​​​

“In June 2021 the Welsh Government froze all new road-building projects to conduct a review. The delay in this review and lack of investment in our infrastructure is having a devastating impact on Anglesey. This is unacceptable. ‌​‌‌​​​‌‍‌​‌​‌​​​

“I will be working with my Welsh Conservative Senedd colleagues to investigate why a 200-year-old suspension bridge was not protected from the forces imposed by modern traffic.” ‌​‌‌​​​‌‍‌​‌​‌​​​

The island’s Senedd Member Rhun ap Iorwerth (Plaid Cymru) said: “Very concerned about the impact of closing the Menai Bridge until the New Year. Will be seeking more info/briefings and sharing when I can. ‌​‌‌​​​‌‍‌​‌​‌​​​

“This is why we need to build more resilience by dualling the Britannia crossing.” ‌​‌‌​​​‌‍‌​‌​‌​​​



Spotted something? Got a story? Send a Facebook Message | A direct message on Twitter | Email news@north.wales

More...

Ukraine war and Brexit blamed over increase in North Wales policing precept

News

Plans to turn former Gwynedd care home into holiday hostel refused

Gwynedd

Man who sexually assaulted girl from North Wales jailed for 19 years

Conwy

Plans revealed for ‘world class’ Denbighshire mental health unit which could cost £84.5m

Denbighshire

Young man dies after falling from ridge in Snowdonia

Gwynedd

Large cannabis growing operation discovered in house in Bangor

Gwynedd