Posted: Sat 4th Apr 2020

Claims that holiday home owners are travelling overnight to avoid police patrols

North Wales news and information
This article is old - Published: Saturday, Apr 4th, 2020

Holiday home owners have been travelling to north Wales at night to avoid being detected by police, a North Wales MP has claimed.

Despite the urging of local authorities and government for all non-urgent travel to be restricted, concerns have been raised that some tourists have been flouting the partial lockdown aimed towards slowing down the spread of covid-19.

On Anglesey, this has led to calls for the military to be deployed to assist police in clamping down on unnecessary travel to the island.

But on the other side of the Menai Strait, concerns have been raised that communities in parts of south Gwynedd have also experienced an influx of visitors to their second homes.

Dwyfor Meirionnydd MP Liz Saville Roberts alleged that some had been known to have “shared tips” to try and dodge the police patrols that have been put in place, including travelling in overnight.

“Police are doing the best they can with the resources available to them and are asking local people for any reports of these travelling to such accomodation to contact them via email or webchat,” she said.

“But we also have people with holiday homes sharing advice with each other to travel at night to avoid the police, and even those who don’t care if they’re fined –  they’ve set out and want to arrive.

“To those thinking of doing this, the rules are there for a reason. There are no exceptions in a pandemic.

“In south Gwynedd we don’t have the sufficient medical resources to cope with extra people and in regards to the shops, we don’t have the supplies to be able to cope.

“I call on Welsh Government to act and define self catering businesses as workplaces which would then give police the powers to close them down.”

Superintendent Richie Green, of North Wales Police, added that teams would continue to patrol the region and border areas to establish the purpose of people’s journeys.

“Teams are out and about and our officers will continue to engage with people, establish their individual circumstances and will continue to explain the risks and warn of the consequences of failing to comply with the guidance,” he said.

“We continue to ask people to consider whether their journey is essential. We all have a shared responsibility to protect the NHS, please use your common sense and help us together to save lives.”

Acknowledging that asking people not to visit the region was “unbelievable”, the chair of the North Wales Tourism Forum stressed the need to comply with regulations.

“We are living in a period of national emergency,” said Michael Bewick.

“I’m sure that I can speak on behalf of the whole sector when I thank people for staying away, for staying at their main home and by saying that we look forward to welcoming you back to North Wales – in the future.”

By Gareth Williams – Local Democracy Reporter



Spotted something? Got a story? Send a Facebook Message | A direct message on Twitter | Email news@north.wales

More...

Police release images after teenager sexually assaulted at Rhyl railway station

Denbighshire

Holiday cabins and sauna plans for Anglesey village with links to Tudor dynasty

Anglesey

Controversial Conwy housing plans set to go back before councillors

Conwy

Frustration voiced as North Wales residents set to pay highest electricity prices in UK

Conwy

Colwyn Bay headmaster defends private school’s sale of buildings amid neighbours’ complaints

Conwy

Mark Drakeford rejects call for Betsi Cadwaladr health board to be restructured

News