Posted: Thu 6th Feb 2020

Updated: Wed 26th Feb

Plans for seven-bedroom HMO in Broughton refused amid concerns about impact on neighbours

North Wales news and information
This article is old - Published: Thursday, Feb 6th, 2020

PLANS to turn a family home into a seven-bedroom House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) have been refused amid concerns about the impact on neighbours.
A total of 50 objections were submitted against proposals to convert the property on Larne Drive in Broughton ahead of a meeting to decide on them yesterday .
The application had been recommended to receive the green light by a senior officer from Flintshire Council, who said it was acceptable because it was in a residential area.
But permission was denied by the local authority’s planning committee after members were told it would have a negative effect on the neighbourhood and lead to parking problems.
Addressing councillors gathered at County Hall in Mold, local resident Libby Jones said: “We believe that our already strong, cohesive neighbourhood in Larne Drive will be shattered by the overdevelopment of a three-bed semi into a large seven-bed HMO.
“We agree that providing the appropriate housing is a challenge for all counties in Wales.
“However, a seven-bed HMO in this small cul-de-sac is disproportionate to the rest of the homes in the street.
“In this area, such a property is likely to attract contract workers.
“Tenants therefore will have a car each but only three spaces are provided, which will result in over parking.
“Children travelling to school are already having to walk on the road and disabled residents are already struggling to use pavements.”
Cllr Billy Mullin, who represents the area, also spoke against the proposals.
It came despite officers advising it would not have a significant impact.
He said: “We need to make a stand, it’s as simple as that.
“We can’t put up with HMOs of this size being thrown at us.
“It’s not in keeping with the cul-de-sac that it’s on and it’s going to have really big issues with parking.
“We have to accept this is going to have a real detrimental impact on the lives of the people of Larne Drive and on those grounds, I believe we should refuse this.”
The committee previously rejected separate plans to create a HMO on Gladstone Road in Broughton after a protest in the community.
However, permission was granted on appeal by the Planning Inspectorate.
Cllr Kevin Hughes, who represents Gwernymynydd, said he had reservations about the latest application, but was concerned the decision could be overturned if it was refused.
He said: “I’m really struggling to vote for refusal and the reason being is we had a very similar application in Gladstone Road.
“I seconded a proposal by Cllr Mullins to refuse that application.
“That went to appeal and the developer won his appeal.
“Common sense tells us that if it’s almost identical then they will win this appeal and there will be financial implications for this county, which I’m struggling to justify.”
The scheme was turned down by twelve votes to four at the end of the debate. ‌​‌‌​​​‌‍‌​‌​‌​​​

By Liam Randall – Local Democracy Reporter ‌​‌‌​​​‌‍‌​‌​‌​​​



Spotted something? Got a story? Send a Facebook Message | A direct message on Twitter | Email news@north.wales

More...

Menai Suspension Bridge set to reopen on schedule next week

Anglesey

Police appeal after man pushed off electric bike in Rhyl in attempted robbery

Denbighshire

Bangor war memorial damaged in ‘appalling act of vandalism’

Gwynedd

Betsi Cadwaladr official say £350m maintenance backlog is ‘very toxic situation’

News

North Wales health board facing ‘very difficult’ situation as flu, Covid and NHS strikes combine

News

Teenager who almost died from flu thanks Ysbyty Gwynedd staff for saving his life

Anglesey