Posted: Mon 22nd Nov 2021

Cooking fire warning issued after lucky escape for Bangor couple

North Wales news and information

A senior fire officer has issued a warning for people to take precautions when cooking.

It follows a kitchen fire in Bangor where smoke alarms helped save an elderly couple from a fire in their home.

Firefighters from from Bangor, Caernarfon and Menai Bridge were called to the blaze on Upper Garth Road shortly before 8.40pm last night (Sunday November 21).

The incident occurred a week after three people were hospitalised and their home was destroyed following a cooking fire in Pandy, near Llangollen.

Mike Owen, response manager for North Wales Fire and Rescue Service, was among those who attended the latest incident.

He said: “We’re all so relieved that the couple were able to escape safely. Smoke alarms activated, and they were able to get out of the house to safety.

“Having working smoke alarms and a practiced escape route is so important to help keep you and your loved ones safe.

“Our firefighters have worked extremely hard to get the fire under control as quickly as possible – my thanks go to them all.

“Please don’t be tempted to leave cooking unattended and take care in the kitchen- it’s so easy to get distracted.

“I’d ask everyone to consider elderly or vulnerable family or neighbours, and ensure they are safe too, with working smoke alarms fitted on every floor of their home.

“For a free safe and well check for you or for someone you know please call our freephone number on 0800 169 1234, e-mail cfs@nwales-fireservice.org.uk or log on to our website www.northwalesfire.gov.wales.”

The fire service has also issued the following top tips for staying safe in the kitchen:

  • If you leave the room take the cooking off the heat
  • Don’t use matches or lighters to light gas cookers. Spark devices are safer
  • Always make sure that any handles are turned away from the edge of the cooker
  • Keep the over, hob and grill clean – a build up fat and grease can easily catch fire
  • Never hang anything to dry above the cooker
  • Take care if you are wearing loose clothing as it can easily catch fire
  • When you’ve finished cooking make sure everything is turned off
  • Turn off electrical appliances when they are not being used
  • Never use a chip pan – use a thermostatically controlled deep far fryer
  • Never cook after drinking- get a takeaway instead
  • Get fitted with smoke alarms – they are free of charge and could save your life.



Spotted something? Got a story? Send a Facebook Message | A direct message on Twitter | Email news@north.wales

More...

RSPCA voices concern as pets absent from Wales’ new homelessness action plan

News

Multi vehicle incident on A55 by Rhuallt Hill – warning of ice & hail on road

News

Welsh Government announces almost £7m to support music in schools

News

Conwy Council urged to reconsider Christmas parking charges to help traders

Conwy

North Wales health board needs to more than double number of people it vaccinates daily

News

Council motion calls for stop on multinationals snapping up Welsh farms to offset carbon emissions

Gwynedd