Posted: Thu 13th Jan 2022

Rail company defends lack of investment in seafront

North Wales news and information

A rail company has defended the lack of investment at a stretch of land frequently battered by waves but promised to invest in future.  

Plans for multi-million-pound coastal defences at Colwyn Bay and Old Colwyn were submitted by Conwy to its own planning committee last week. 

The application seeks permission for the sea defences between Porth Eirias in the west and Splash Point in the east. 

Plans for major sea defence work across the county have followed funding from the Welsh Government.  

But last week Cllr Cheryl Carlisle criticised Network Rail for not investing in the seafront. 
Cllr Carlisle also said climate change and frequent bad storms were a risk to the promenade, the A55 and the main sewage line to the area.  

The rail company, however, claim they do not own that section of the promenade but said it would be investing in land on the seafront in the vicinity in future. 

A Network Rail spokesperson commented: “Network Rail is not responsible for the maintenance of this section of the sea defence in Colwyn Bay – although of course, we welcome this major Welsh Government investment. 
 “For the section of sea defence that we do own and maintain in Old Colwyn, we’re planning to invest £1.6m this funding period (2019-24) so it can continue to protect the railway for future generations.”  

The Welsh Government-funded coastal defences will feature a rock revetment or sea wall 32m in width and 630m in length between the bottom of the east promenade to Porth Eirias. 

Pedestrian and cyclist access to the beach will be included as well as ramps and steps, a picnic area and an outdoor classroom. The promenade will also be heightened by around two metres and widened to better protect the coastline and offer a greater amount of space. 

Other work on the promenade will include new benches, planters, trees, bins and a picnic area with seating. There will be new lighting, handrails, new street furniture, improved roads and parking and pedestrian crossing points 
The total cost of the work is £35m.

By Richard Evans – Local Democracy Reporter



Spotted something? Got a story? Send a Facebook Message | A direct message on Twitter | Email news@north.wales

More...

23 year old pedestrian killed after collision in St Asaph

News

North Wales Police precept set to rise by £11.25 a year with plans to crack down on drug driving

News

Police in Anglesey town ask parents to find out where children are following anti-social behaviour problems

Anglesey

Weather warning for northern Wales in place for Sunday and Monday with winds of up to 70mph forecast

News

Cadw launch investigation after medieval wall daubed in red paint

Conwy

Wales completes move to alert level zero

News