Queuing traffic expected in Conwy and Llandudno Junction as flyover refurbishment takes place
Slow traffic is expected in Conwy and Llandudno Junction as refurbishment work to a flyover restarts.
An initial eleven-week programme was carried out in the spring and summer of last year and saw the flyover between the two locations reduced to one lane with a traffic light system and contraflow in place.
It caused disruption for drivers and impacted some businesses, as well as adding extra traffic on the A470.
Phase two was due to begin last September, with the third phase taking place in 2023. But Conwy County Council announced that month that the work would be delayed until the spring.
The council has not yet disclosed the exact date phase two work will start, but has confirmed it will be during the week following the Easter school holidays and that it will end before the summer holidays begin.
The work is to replace the flyover’s waterproofing, movement joints, and drainage. The council said the work must be carried out when the weather is drier.
Cabinet member for roads, Cllr Goronwy Edwards, said: “Until the funding is approved, we can’t let the public know exactly when the work starts.
“We will let businesses know what the timescales are and the information as well as residents as part of a public communication.
“The work is scheduled to start the week after Easter and finishes the week before the schools break up for the summer holidays, so it is the same as last year basically.
“Initially the work was supposed to go on over one year. The cob would have been closed completely, so that is why we phased it, so the cob remained open with traffic lights.
“On the whole, it seemed to work very well. Hopefully it will be the same this year, weather permitting.”
The traffic management is expected to be the same as last year. Access will be maintained over the bridge but with one lane managed by traffic lights – and traffic lights on the Lidl roundabout.
Phase two of the refurbishment work was discussed behind closed doors at a council cabinet meeting on Tuesday, but the public and press were excluded as the discussions centred around confidential financial details concerning the awarding of the contract.
The same report is set to be discussed as part of the budget at today’s council meeting (Thursday, 2 March) at Bodlondeb.
By Richard Evans – Local Democracy Reporter
Spotted something? Got a story? Send a Facebook Message | A direct message on Twitter | Email firstname.lastname@example.org