Posted: Mon 10th Feb 2020

Updated: Wed 26th Feb

leader will investigate flood reasons

North Wales news and information
This article is old - Published: Monday, Feb 10th, 2020

A council leader said his authority will investigate why a town was flooded even though river defences held firm.
Conservative Cllr Sam Rowlands promised to look into the circumstances of widespread flooding in Llanrwst after criticism from Plaid Cymru Cllr Aaron Wynne over the way storm culverts are maintained.
Cllr Wynne, who represents the Crwst ward in  the town, blamed severe Conwy council’s failure to regularly clear storm culverts designed to divert flood waters.
Storm Ciara brought torrential rain and 80mph winds, but residents in Llanrwst claimed areas not normally under threat were hit by severe flooding.
However many residents complained that culverts, designed to run off excess water, had failed.
Conwy council said it cleared screens designed to stop debris getting into the culverts on Friday night and again on Sunday morning.
Cllr Wynne said: “The issue was the two culverts that run through the centre of town. That’s part of the flood alleviation so it can hold the water.
“Cae Tyddyn and Cae Delyn flooded because there was debris stopping the water from flowing
“If the culverts were cleared properly and regularly then we wouldn’t have had this result.
“What’s the point of having a flood alleviation scheme when it’s blocked.”
Cllr Wynne said once the debris had been cleared from the culverts the water level subsided almost straight away.
Conwy council leader Sam Rowlands said: “We will do a full investigation. That’s going to happen. We will look into it as soon as possible. We want to make things as sage for our residents as possible.
“It was a terrible day for residents and businesses across the county. I’m very grateful to our staff and people in the local communities for the way they dealt with the situation in the most atrocious weather conditions.”
Homes and businesses were hit with up to four-and-a-half feet of water after the flood. Cars were also written-off after one car park saw more than a dozen vehicles submerged.
A spokeswoman for the council said:  “The culvert’s trash screen was checked on Friday before the storm and any debris was cleared off site.
“During the storm, the culvert filled with debris that had been washed down by the heavy rainfall.
“This debris was removed quickly using a mechanical excavator, which remained in the Llanrwst area throughout the day.”

By Jez Hemming – Local Democracy Reporter



Spotted something? Got a story? Send a Facebook Message | A direct message on Twitter | Email news@north.wales

More...

North Wales health board asks patients, staff and visitors to start wearing masks again amid Covid spike

News

Next chief constable of North Wales Police expected to learn Welsh as job advert goes live

News

Wales basic income pilot scheme will see young care leavers offered over £19,000

News

Motorhome plans for glamping site near Llandudno

Conwy

Colour coded school performance system to be scrapped in Wales

News

Llanrwst Rural Show hailed a success after post-Covid return

Conwy