Posted: Thu 16th Mar 2023

Conwy Council confirms date for Llandudno Junction refurbishment works as traffic disruption expected

North Wales news and information

Conwy Council has confirmed the date when refurbishment work to a flyover will restart with traffic disruption expected. ‌​‌‌​​​‌‍‌​‌​‌​​​

An initial eleven-week programme was carried out in the spring and summer of last year and saw the flyover between Llandudno Junction and Conwy reduced to one lane with a traffic light system and contraflow in place. ‌​‌‌​​​‌‍‌​‌​‌​​​ ‌​‌‌​​​‌‍‌​‌​‌​​​

It caused disruption for drivers and impacted some businesses, as well as adding extra traffic on the A470. ‌​‌‌​​​‌‍‌​‌​‌​​​ ‌​‌‌​​​‌‍‌​‌​‌​​​

Phase two was due to begin last September, with the third phase taking place in 2023, but the local authority announced that month that the work would be delayed until the spring. ‌​‌‌​​​‌‍‌​‌​‌​​​ ‌​‌‌​​​‌‍‌​‌​‌​​​

The council has now disclosed the exact date phase two work will start, with it expected to begin on April 17 and end on July 20. ‌​‌‌​​​‌‍‌​‌​‌​​​

A spokesperson said: “The Llandudno Junction flyover from the Weekly News roundabout to Conwy town needs refurbishing, to replace the waterproofing, movement joints and drainage. ‌​‌‌​​​‌‍‌​‌​‌​​​

“This is phase 2 of this significant project – the first phase was completed in 2022 and phase 2 will complete the work. ‌​‌‌​​​‌‍‌​‌​‌​​​

“We understand that this work will cause major disruption and inconvenience, because the bridge is a main route into Conwy. It’s because this is a key route that the work is so important, to keep the bridge safe and open for years to come. ‌​‌‌​​​‌‍‌​‌​‌​​​

“We are aiming to get the work done as quickly as possible, which will include weekend and evening work.” ‌​‌‌​​​‌‍‌​‌​‌​​​

The Weekly News roundabout, also referred to as the Lidl roundabout, is the large roundabout on the A546, with exits to Conwy, Deganwy, Llandudno Junction and towards the A55. ‌​‌‌​​​‌‍‌​‌​‌​​​

Traffic over the flyover and around the roundabout will be managed by temporary traffic lights, with one lane closed while the work takes place. ‌​‌‌​​​‌‍‌​‌​‌​​​

The council said: “We will maintain access from the Weekly News roundabout to Conwy, Deganwy and Llandudno Junction. ‌​‌‌​​​‌‍‌​‌​‌​​​

“There will be access from the Weekly News roundabout to the Tesco roundabout. Vehicles travelling from the Tesco’s roundabout towards Llandudno Junction and Llandudno will follow a diversion via Black Cat roundabout. ‌​‌‌​​​‌‍‌​‌​‌​​​

“Access will be maintained for pedestrians and cyclists through the site from Conwy to the steps at the Llandudno Junction end of the site, near Lidl.” ‌​‌‌​​​‌‍‌​‌​‌​​​

Explaining the decision to carry the work out in the spring and summer, they added:  “We need dry weather to complete the work, so it’s not possible to do it in autumn and winter. ‌​‌‌​​​‌‍‌​‌​‌​​​

“We have avoided the main school holidays by starting the work after Easter and scheduling it to finish before the summer holidays.” ‌​‌‌​​​‌‍‌​‌​‌​​​

The council said the nature of the work would not allow it to temporarily open the bridge during school holidays and the May bank holiday weekends. ‌​‌‌​​​‌‍‌​‌​‌​​​

Arriva and other bus operators using the bridge are expected amend their routes to allow for the diversion. The work does not affect train services. ‌​‌‌​​​‌‍‌​‌​‌​​​

The authority said there will be “open as usual” signs to let customers know they can still access local businesses. ‌​‌‌​​​‌‍‌​‌​‌​​​

Anyone who needs more information on the works is asked to contact the Environment, Roads and Facilities advice team on erf@conwy.gov.uk or call 01492 575337. ‌​‌‌​​​‌‍‌​‌​‌​​​



Spotted something? Got a story? Send a Facebook Message | A direct message on Twitter | Email news@north.wales

More...

Man jailed for online grooming offences carried out whilst living in North Wales

Gwynedd

North Wales MP ‘gobsmacked’ at extension of Avanti West Coast contract

News

Wirral man sentenced for assaulting woman and verbally abusing staff on North Wales train

News

Gwynedd councillors left feeling ‘unsafe’ after meeting on sex education interrupted by hecklers

Gwynedd

UK Government to test new “Emergency Alerts” system next month

News

Claims £58m Colwyn Bay council building is empty dismissed as ‘myth’

Conwy