Posted: Thu 29th Sep 2022

Colwyn Bay restaurant closed for the ‘foreseeable’ following suspected arson attack

North Wales news and information
This article is old - Published: Thursday, Sep 29th, 2022

A Colwyn Bay restaurant will be closed for the foreseeable future following a suspected arson attack, its owners have said.

Police and firefighters were called out in the early hours of Tuesday morning after a fire broke out at The Toad on the town’s West Promenade.

The incident, which happened at around 1.30am, saw major damage caused to the building.

A man has since been arrested on suspicion of arson before being released pending a further investigation.

In a post on Facebook, the restaurant’s owners have pledged to try and reopen it.

They said: “We were due to be reopen tomorrow but due to a random arson attack in the early hours of Tuesday morning. This has caused some considerable damage to The Toad so we will be closed for the foreseeable.

“For any people with bookings we will be in touch in due course! We will be doing everything we can to restore The Toad and open our doors again.”

A North Wales Police spokesperson said: “We received a call at 1.32am on Tuesday morning from colleagues at NWFRS reporting they were at a fire at a commercial premises on West Promenade.

“Officers attended and a man was arrested on suspicion of arson. He has subsequently been released under investigation pending the outcome of further enquiries.”

Spotted something? Got a story? Send a Facebook Message | A direct message on Twitter | Email


Health minister provides reassurance over supply of antibiotics in Wales as Strep A cases rise


Call for direct support for businesses hit by Menai Bridge closure amid major dip in trade


Icy conditions expected in North Wales with snow on higher ground as weather warning issued


Drops in Welsh language speakers shows targets need to be backed by action, says Plaid MS


North Wales health board prepares to cancel appointments as strike nears


North Wales rail passengers forced to fork out over £100 for taxis after getting stranded in Chester