Caravans entering North Wales could be turned round as police chief vows to enforce coronavirus lockdown
Caravans and motor homes entering North Wales could be turned round as a police chief has vowed to enforce the coronavirus lockdown.
Chief Constable Carl Foulkes from North Wales Police said people can expect to see more visible policing in communities after the government introduced strict new measures to curb the spread of COVID-19.
There has been anger across the region after tourists flocked in their droves over the weekend with beauty spots like Snowdonia and Bala Lake proving particularly popular.
In a video shared on Twitter today the chief constable said the police force was working with caravan site owners and urged those considering visiting the area not do so.
He also called on local residents to play their part by respecting guidance for them to stay at home.
Chief Constable Carl Foulkes with a brief update in relation to #COVID19 and your role in helping to reduce the spread of the virus #StayHomeSaveLives pic.twitter.com/ka2XDS7p22
— North Wales Police (@NWPolice) March 24, 2020
He said: “We need our local communities to work with us like never before by staying at home.
“We will continue our day to day policing and will see an increased levels of visible policing both in communities and on our roads.
“If we come across people choosing to break these rules which are there to keep us safe we will take action.
“At the weekend, similar to other parts of the UK, we saw a large influx of visitors in North Wales.
“We are working with campsites and if necessary will stop caravans or motorhomes coming into this region to turn them round. This is for our personal safety.
“I would personally urge anyone who’s considering visiting North Wales to think again. Please don’t travel unless absolutely necessary to do so.
“This is to stop the spread of the virus, limit the impact of our already stretched health services and ultimately to save lives.”
Earlier in the day police revealed they had received a flurry of 999 calls following last night’s lockdown announcement.
They included someone asking if they could still take their car for an MOT and another person questioning if they could still move house.
Mr Foulkes has encouraged people to visit the government website for guidance instead to keep emergency lines free.
He also instructed them to either use the force’s online web chat service or use e-mail for non-urgent matters.
Spotted something? Got a story? Send a Facebook Message | A direct message on Twitter | Email email@example.com